Vihara is seeking a Senior Communications Designer who is exceptional at understanding complex issues and articulating them effectively and is equipped to generate methods and processes for solving communication problems using design thinking, analytical and problem-solving capabilities. We are looking for a designer who is capable of building information architectures, envisioning and implementing an overarching content strategy and flow, with a coherent communication style to program deliverables.
You should have expertise in understanding visual semantics, the psychology and cognition of visual design, information design, editorial design, typography, and a strong interest in design research, storytelling.
High level of skills in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) and presentation softwares and a nuanced understanding of relevant graphic design disciplines: print, web, information, UI/UX, and packaging. Skills in video/filmmaking, exhibition design, animation, photography, etc. are good to have.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Vihara is commencing a year long human centered innovation implementation program called ‘Make Home a Safe Space’, funded by a well known international donor, to prototype, trial and propose a practical model of intervention to enable healthy behaviors around home based child-care, in particular around safety and hygiene of food and water consumed by children. For this program, we aim to specifically prevent behaviors around the consumption of contaminated food and fecal or chemically contaminated water that are the prime perpetrators of repeated cycles of diarrhea and other waterborne diseases, impairing absorption of nutrients and exacerbating malnutrition and hidden hunger. The project will use and participatory approach to field prototyping by convening a group of experts and partners in the space of nutrition, water and sanitation, on ground implementer, and beneficiary families. This program aims to reduce malnutrition, stunting, repeated re-infection and hidden hunger.
Designation: Communications Designer
Experience: 2-4 years
Project Duration- 4 months with a possibility of further extension
Date of Joining- ASAP
Educational Qualifications: Bachelors or Masters Degree in Visual Communication / Communications Design / Media Arts / Media and Communication
Required Skills & Experience
- Excellent storytelling and narrative building ability, with prior experience in strategic communications for large scale service design / design research projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication in order to accurately and creatively communicate the team’s work, with prior experience in copywriting and creative writing for a range of audiences
- Excellent analytical and editorial skills and the ability to synthesise and draw connections across a breadth of information in captivating ways
- Strong visual design sensibility, with experience in art direction and visual storytelling through a range of mixed media, including but not limited to photography, videography, animation, illustration, storyboarding etc.
- Creative leadership skills in order work independently as well as collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Innovative problem solving skills demonstrated in day to day management, and the ability to handle crisis situations appropriately
- Effective planning and time management skills for effective task management
Key Job Responsibilities
- Envision and implement the overarching content strategy and communication style for the program, in close coordination with the project team, client and relevant project partners
- ‘Connect the dots’ by creating high level project communication materials that illustrate a clear program narrative and strategy, at various stages of the program
- Provide strategic direction to all project content through envisioning structures, templates, communication style, and visual language
- Work closely with relevant team members, and design partners on creatively packaging insights and field learnings into inspiring and visually rich innovation narratives.
- Support the project manager and team with client reporting
- Regularly aggregate and disseminate crucial project knowledge through lab notes, high films, videos, info-graphics, posters, and other knowledge artefacts, using various media
- Document project processes, and capture pivotal design decisions and turning points through the program.
- Curate and manage the program’s online presence including its website, blog, and other social media platforms
- Coordinate seamlessly with the program team, design advisors, graphic designers, external vendors for developing, editing, rendering and publishing communication material
- Maintain a robust archive of all project communication materials complete with introductory blurbs, out-briefs, project documentation, imagery
- Good knowledge of the design process with prior experience with design research
- Experience with creative branding and designing communication campaigns
- Experience with working for development oriented organizations or clients
Interested candidates can email their resume, writing samples, and / or portfolios to HR Manager at email@example.com